Where does restic store its files?

I ran restic -r b2:someBucket:. init which worked but now it’s not clear to me where restic stores its configuration files. I checked the bucket on b2 and it doesn’t seem to contain any metadata. Nor do I see any metadata on my local computer.

Where can I find restic’s configuration file(s)?

Restic keeps everything in the repo. There should be a config file in a fresh-initialized repository (with a key under keys folder), everything restic needs to know about this repository is in that file.

Restic keeps everything in the repo. There should be a config file in a fresh-initialized repository (with a key under keys folder), everything restic needs to know about this repository is in that file.

Yeah, I see that for local repositories but for B2 I don’t see a config directory created locally or remotely. What happens in the case of B2?

Afaik it’s storage-agnostic, it creates config on the repo.

If init reported that it created a repository and you can’t see it, please check that you’ve been checking the correct bucket on b2 side.

I deleted the b2 bucket and tried again. This time it worked so I’ll chalk it up to user error. Thank you.

1 Like