Web UI for Restic

I am, provided the announcement includes all the terms and conditions to use it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure will, thanks! We’ll include the restic license, give attribution, and even document how to use restic to restore from repositories directly without using our software at all.

Edit, to clarify what was originally requested: we’ll be offering our software under a different license from restic so that we can sustain its development for non-technical users and make the experience silky smooth. Still a labor of love, but with actual costs for us beyond just our time.

2 Likes

I decided to set up a simple mailing list for people who would like more details, instead of spamming the forums until we launch: https://relicabackup.com

You can sign up there, and subscribers will get more information as we have new things to report about our progress! And I’d love to get your feedback about what your needs are and what kinds of features you want, so feel free to make it a two-way exchange.

1 Like

Will I be able to use Relica on top of Restic, and so just use your frontend? Or is it a backend + frontend solution?

It’s a complete SaaS solution that uses restic as its base (that’s my current understanding).
I bet there are modifications to restic in order make relica work the way they want it to.

It’s a complete solution for consumers, developers, and businesses (almost for business – we still need to gather more information about needs, like user management, etc). It’s something that myself (a power user) and my mother and sisters (non-technical users) can use alike.

Relica will ship with restic so as to ensure compatibility between restic’s inputs/outputs and how Relica is programmed to automate them.

Actually, all our modifications have been submitted as PRs to restic’s master branch: Pull requests · restic/restic · GitHub – so everyone is benefitting equally, and we only use stock restic binaries.

Restic’s awesome, and we think you’ll love Relica too. Restic is finally making possible the backup software I’ve been searching for for years.

3 Likes

@matt Any news about ?

I also developed a web interface using Django. I’m using it, it’s pretty basic but i can:

• List snapshots and hosts with search capabilities and host status (backing up regulary or not)
  • Have details on each snapshot/host about backed up folders with (eventually) exclusions
  • Multiple repositories, for some of them with raw data usage
  • Multiple policies based on TAG or HOST
  • Background tasks using celery to perform check, run policy and pruning repository as defined
  • Mounting capabilities with browsing repository using h5ai

Anyway. I’m not a web developer so this is only a personal beta software :slight_smile: Probably yours will be a lot better.

Yep – we have a waiting list at https://relicabackup.com if you want to get an invite when we open up the betas, which we hope to do before the end of the month – definitely before CrashPlan Home discontinues. We’re just fine-tuning the installation process for Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Nice!

It’s a lot of work, isn’t it. :smile:

Nice, I just signed up to give it a try eventually :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not contrary to develop “paid” solutions over free software, but I asked about your solution thinking at something free like relic is, instead on the page I saw lot of marketing, sale, trial, 30 days free… etc.

I didn’t expect it. I’m not in, thanks anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, Relica is definitely worth paying for. :slight_smile:

From what I have seen in screenshots Relica indeed looks very polished and super cool.

However, the price (I guess it’s $60+/year) might not be for everybody, esp. for users who have little data to backup (1-2 or maybe 3 digit GBs) that doesn’t change often - who might just want an ultra cheap cold storage. But for power users it might be great. I too want to test multiple backup destinations feature (esp. backup to friends!! :+1:) hence signed up for beta/trial.

Does Relica also support different “backup sets” with different frequency and retention options?

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback!

The price is roughly on-par with comparable backup services. In fact, our offering is targeted for people who are not power users, although we have features that power users will find enticing (command line interface, backup hooks, etc). Most of my family are not power users and do not know how to set up and manage cold cloud storage. We want to abstract that away. :slight_smile:

Yes – multiple backup sets can be configured, each with their own schedules. And each destination can have retention periods specified. We don’t yet have a way to configure a retention for a specific backup configuration (as multiple backup sets can go to the same destination), but that’s definitely something we can do. I’ll make a note of it.

So, Relica is closed source, right? No free (not talking “as in beer”) or open source software?

I am in your list since you posted it here and it looks amazing. Really good, but not a fan of closed source, tho. However, I really don’t mind to spend for this software if I were to setup this for someone who doesn’t know how to work with restic. It is cheap, considering you’re giving your software with a subscription for offsite backups.

I have a question… how does relica manage repositories if I have different computers backing up? Could I use the same repo for all or it will create a different repository for every host?

3 Likes

Relica separates the concept of a backup set from a destination. So you can create a single destination – say, the Relica Cloud, or a destination (folder) on another one of your computers – and have multiple backup sets, even multiple different computers, back up to it. A repository is shared within the same account, even if it is populated by multiple hosts.

@matt thank you for your answer. I wish the best for this project.

1 Like

@aventrax
very interesting to read about your approach. Is it possible that you share your web UI for restic? I’m sure many would love to test it and perhaps contribute to it :slight_smile:

I’ve been looking for a Restic UI recently and came across this. It’s not clear what is being offered with Relica for $5/month. Does this include any cloud storage ? or am I expected to have my own storage backend with a Cloud provide already in place ?

Both/either. As the pricing page says, it’s $60/yr plus optional cloud storage in The Relica Cloud. If you bring your own cloud storage, it’s not extra:

If I use my own cloud storage, does this pricing apply?

The cloud storage pricing shown on this page is for the managed Relica Cloud, which we recommend for most customers. However, there is no extra charge for backing up to your own cloud storage but you will have to set up and maintain it yourself.

There’s a lot of good information in these bullet points too, including what you get with the membership:

Basically a membership gives you unlimited backup for all your devices, except to the Relica Cloud, which is billled by usage (per GB).

Ok, so i find it hard to justify spending the same amount on the means to back up to the cloud provider i’m already paying for. I appreciate that development takes time and money to sustain a product like this, but in that case I would rather pay a one-off rather than a reoccurring fee when i’m not really getting any service other than a UI to something I can already do.

3 Likes