Using Wasabi for offsite backups with Restic

Note that B2 still has cheaper storage ($0.005 per GB vs rsync.net’s $0.02 per GB) but has egress fees of $0.01 per GB while rsync.net’s restic plan has no egress fees. So it depends how much data you anticipating restoring as to which will be cheaper.

I may migrate from wasabi to rsync.net Can rclone be run in rsync.net to migrate existing repository? It would be faster than download+upload

Yes - we have the rclone binary executable inside our (limited, locked down) environment so you can run it from an rsync.net cloud storage account:

# ssh user@rsync.net rclone config
Password:
2019/07/03 19:54:27 NOTICE: Config file "/user/.config/rclone/rclone.conf" not found - using defaults
No remotes found - make a new one
n) New remote
s) Set configuration password
q) Quit config
n/s/q>

… so you can indeed do a one-hop transfer without downloading and then re-uploading …

@bjo

Sorry to beat this (old) thread to death, but I just noticed:

ALL of our accounts can be accessed with ANY tool that runs over SSH. I am not sure what issue you ran into but there are no plans/accounts that are restricted in terms of tooling / connectivity.

The “borg accounts” do have two specific limitations: no technical support for borg (we assume you’re an expert) and no free zfs snapshots (but you can add them, of course).