Thank you for restic!

This message is for all the developers of restic, I just wanted to reach out and thank you. I’m sure there are moments of frustration dealing with the inevitable issues that pop up, but it is a brilliant piece of software, well thought out and incredibly useful!

Also, I wanted to thank everyone for their continued consideration of edge use cases. So often the answer is “you’re holding it wrong” :wink: It’s incredibly refreshing to see the project always open to consider new needs and approaches.

For example, I was stunned at the massive improvement using the --ignore-inode flag for backing up a fuse mounted file system. We use the encrypted file service Tresorit which allows you to mount your directories and files via fuse mount. Wanting to back these files up to Backblaze I naturally turned to restic as I’ve had so much luck with it. There are something like 600,000 files totalling 450 GB on this mount. Using restic without the flag each backup was taking nearly three days. I did some research and found the --ignore-inode flag and it’s now taking under 20 minutes.

So we have an encrypted fuse mount of nearly a half TB and 600k files on a VPS that only takes up a few GB of actual hard drive space, that’s able to be incrementally backed up to a encrypted remote B2 repo in under 20 minutes. That’s incredible.

To top it off when I found that flag I was about to remove the apt version of the restic program and manually add the binary, as that version didn’t have it yet (Debian buster uses 0.9.4). Instead you guys made a simple self update function that worked instantly. Great work.

Thank you again!

13 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, it means a lot to us!

I just wanted to +1 this.
I have been experimenting with a few stacks over the years to find the best backup solution for my (personal) needs.
And I just love Restic, the de duplication works great!.
here are some stats from my backup (to B2 - love that Restic supports it, in fact this led me to Restic to begin with)

scan finished in 405.026s: 192265 files, 307.951 GiB                                                                                                                                                               

Files:       192265 new,     0 changed,     0 unmodified                                                                                                                                                           
Dirs:        30880 new,     0 changed,     0 unmodified                                                                                                                                                            
Data Blobs:  166956 new                                                                                                                                                                                            
Tree Blobs:  26007 new                                                                                                                                                                                             
Added to the repo: 130.476 GiB                                                                                                                                                                                     

processed 192265 files, 307.951 GiB in 15:17:06

this is an amazing saving rate!
I’ve also played a bit with restic mount and I was really happy to find out
that I can mount a restic repo, find the snapshot with an encfs encrypted directory and then mount it directly from restic mount
so I could access an encfs (on the fly) decrypted file without downloading the entire encfs dir!!

this is just awesome, thank you so much.
I would to see the compression implemented on top of this, if it will end up saving even more space (I guess the compression can be done on the blobs after hashing them?)

Thanks for this jewel of a software!

3 Likes

Yes, I’d like to say thank you as well to the developers and all their hard work. Restic is such great software, I use it a lot.

:grinning:

1 Like