Swamp: GNOME application to index and browse Restic repositories

Howdy folks.

I’ve open sourced a graphical application for the GNOME desktop to index and search Restic repositories: GitHub - swampapp/swamp: Navigate your backed up data without drowning.

It may need a couple of extra months to reach production quality, but there’s an alpha version I just published for the curious.

The code isn’t really in a state where potential contributors may find it readable or manageable, it may take me a couple of extra weeks to get there.

Contributions, feedback, ideas, etc are most welcome in any case.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Really cool, nice work!

Personally I’d make the icons in the left menu smaller though, they’re really large relatively speaking.

2 Likes

This looks really awesome! How is it working for you? Have you had some testers? I am going to try it out on CentOS7.

:wave: @powerhouse

It’s still in its infancy and quite rough around the edges. The underlying data format for the index the configuration etc may all change before the first stable release, and given the time it takes to add code to migrate things to the newer format and the fact that it doesn’t have an active user base, it means a new alpha or beta version might break things.

On the upside, the tool can’t change your restic repository, the operations are read only, so worst thing that can happen is that you may need to re-index your restic repository again. I use it on a daily basis, but being the developer I know where the bodies are buried, so your experience will probably be different.

It’s been a bit quiet lately being distracted with other stuff, but I plan to get to at stable release eventually, one commit at a time. My life is in a restic repository now, so I’m heavily invested in swamp :wink:

Hope that helps. Feedback is more than welcome.