Set cache via environment variable

Is there a way to set the cache directory via an environment variable? When working at the command line it is quite annoying to manually type --cache-dir on every command.

Is TMPDIR == --cache-dir? mentions XDG_CACHE_HOME, I set this variable but restic seems to be using the existing variable instead.

Uhm, the variable you’ve mentioned (XDG_CACHE_HOME) is correct, if it is set and the flag --cache-dir is not present, restic uses the directory $XDG_CACHE_HOME/restic for its cache.

The priority for selecting the cache directory is as follows:

• Command-line flag --cache-dir
  • Environment variable $XDG_CACHE_HOME
  • Default (~/.cache/restic)

Can you paste your complete command line?

Sure. Earlier in the script I set:

SET B2_ACCOUNT_ID=<removed>
SET B2_ACCOUNT_KEY=<removed>
SET RESTIC_PASSWORD_FILE=%@full[Utils:restic.txt]
SET RESTIC_REPOSITORY=b2:%[projectname]:restic-%[computername]
SET XDG_CACHE_HOME=D:\restic-cache

Then later I call restic multiple times. Here’s one:
restic --tag IIS backup C:\inetpub D:\HTTP "C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config"

Since the B2_ and RESTIC_ variables are required for restic to run, I am confident that all the variables have been set correctly. I also tried pasting each command at the command line, running restic, and then verifying the environment variables are still set correctly.

I deleted the current cache (in case restic checks in the default location for a cache first), then ran restic and this is the output:

repository fee88442 opened successfully, password is correct
created new cache in C:\Users\daveadmin\AppData\Local\restic
Files: 0 new, 1 changed, 287 unmodified
Dirs: 0 new, 1 changed, 4 unmodified
Added to the repo: 486.756 KiB
processed 288 files, 26.162 MiB in 1:13
snapshot b1a2475c saved

D:\restic-cache does exist, permissions are good, but it remains empty.

XDG_CACHE_HOME is only used on platforms that aren’t Darwin (OS X) or Windows.

On Windows, it uses %LOCALAPPDATA%\restic as the default.

Another option is to put common arguments in a variable, for example:

set RESTIC_CMD=restic --cache-dir=...
%RESTIC_CMD% backup ...

I don’t know how to do this in Windows, but if you’re working with a script then in bash you could to something like this:

restic "$@" --cache-dir=/path/to/your/cache/dir

Then, every time you call the script, you can use any command and it will use the cache directory specified in your script.

True, it just adds complexity when all the other “include it on every single command” things can be defined in the environment.

Would it be possible to adds a environment variable for this one? I’d suggest it should be checked between the command line and XDG variables.

Yes, it’d be possible. Can you please report this as a feature request on GitHub, so we can track it? Thanks!