The VSS PR was merged into the master branch on 2020-10-24, feel free to test the latest master build at: https://beta.restic.net/?sort=time&order=desc
Thanks a lot to everyone who helped out!
- After a very useful first round of testing the new VSS support in restic, @fgma and @MichaelEischer have been hard at work to polish it to a state where we’re can soon merge it.
- We’d now like to ask everyone for a second round of testing before we hopefully merge this feature once and for all.
- @fd0 has built a new executable binary based on this PR with VSS support. Please download and test it from: https://beta.restic.net/pr-2274/restic-20201010-v0.10.0-167-g3ab5b8b3.exe
- What we want to know are the same things as mentioned in the list below for the first round of testing. Simply add your comments in this thread or in the PR at GitHub, whether successful or not.
- Thank you very much!
Thanks to @fgma we currently have this PR for Windows VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) support. It’s been actively worked on and bug fixed for a while now. It has seen some testing and users using it, but we’d like to see more of that as we aren’t using Windows ourselves and thereby have limited testing done ourselves (in other words this feature is one of those that depend more on the community than many other features in restic do).
We’d like everyone who has the chance to do so to test this PR as soon as possible, so that we can get more information about how well it works out in the wild, and if there’s anything we’re missing in it regarding stability and potential bugs.
In particular we’d like to get feedback on the following, as mentioned by @fgma:
- Does it work for you when backing up, or are there any problems with that phase of the process?
- Does restoring files from it work fine, or are there any problems with that phase of the process?
- Are the backups complete or is there any chance that you are missing some files or contents in your snapshots after using this PR?
- Anything else you can think of that’s relevant.
So in short, please just test it, and as much as possible take some time to verify the result by restoring and checking the contents. I don’t have any particular reason to think it doesn’t work, but we’d like to just get that additional feedback besides the one we already got in the PR itself.
Thanks a lot to everyone helping out with this!
EDIT: Please let us know if you need help building restic from this PR! Or you can use a prebuilt (by @fd0) 64-bit binary with this PR in it by downloading https://beta.restic.net/pr-2274/restic-20201010-v0.10.0-167-g3ab5b8b3.exe .