Restoring files directly into a single compressed archive

Is there any discussion about a way to restore files to a single .zip or .tar.gz file?

Am willing to write code. :slight_smile:

I could envision a couple ways of this happening:

• Direct support implemented into restic’s CLI, with a flag such as --archive zip or --archive tgz or something.
  • The restore functions exposed as a library so that an io.Reader can be returned such that I can pipe the contents of the restore into a zipper or targz-er function. Ideally avoiding writing a whole archive to disk at once.

The goal is to stream the contents of the restore out to some client over a network, while preserving disk space and memory.

This is a pretty niche need, so, I am of course willing to write code, even if it’s external to restic if it wouldn’t be a good fit for restic itself.

What do you think?

Snapshotting a directory from STDIN?

Hi @matt you can already achieve this in at least two ways:

1. Mount the restic repo at a file system with restic mount and then zip up the snapshot folder you want, with any filters you want, to a zip file.

2. Mount a zip file as a fuse filesystem and then restore with restic into that flle system. Unmount the filesystem when finished and you have the zip file. (https://bitbucket.org/agalanin/fuse-zip)

Both method avoid ever restoring all the files to a real local file system that takes up space. In both cases the files go straight to a zip.

If you want to stream the zip file directly out of restic to e.g. some sftp location, then you will still need to cut some code I think.

I don’t know much but maybe at some point the restored snapshot or file would be in a tmp folder in order to create the compressed file and then it’ll need to delete the restored files leaving just the compressed one in order to accomplish this. I think using mount option and tar is the simplest way. Once the directory is mounted you just need to point tar to the snapshot you want to save.

Thanks both.

This is an interesting possibility. I don’t love the idea of trusting a fuse mount since they tend to be unreliable and/or slow, but I’ll look into how viable this is for our needs. Still preferable would be for restic to have some native support for this, rather than relying on a fake file system, but if it does the job (even if it’s a little slow), I can work with that.

Thanks for the idea!

Correct me if I am wrong

Restic mount doesn’t work on windows…

I don’t think WSL supports fuse yet. You can vote for the feature here:

You can use a Linux VM or Linux docker container on windows and do it in there, with the output ZIP going to a mounted Windows filesystem.

Instead of implementing a compression directly into restic, why not simply support a tar output stream, so it can be piped to other compressors on the shell?

Snapshotting a directory from STDIN?