After several iterations of writing scripts to manage my restic backups, I’ve written a tool called
resticctl that lets me have profile based backups using restic.
- Profiles are simple plain-text files stored in
- Profiles and Repositories are configured independently (simpler configuration for sharing repositories between backup profiles).
- Daily operation is a simple single command (eg,
resticctl start my-backup)
- Maintenance tasks are also simple single commands (
resticctl cleanup my-backupto forget and prune, or
resticctl forget my-backupto just forget). Retention periods are configured in the profile.
- Option to start a shell with repository options set in environment variables for manual interaction with backups.
Source code on GitHub: https://github.com/fukawi2/resticctl
Would love some feedback if anyone else wants to try it out.