`restic stats` takes a long time

I have a relatively small repo, and even retrieving stats for a single snapshot takes a very long time:

$ time restic stats -r rest:https://restic.mimas.internal.nobbz.dev/nobbz -H mimas latest --json
enter password for repository:                                                                    found 2 old cache directories in /home/nmelzer/.cache/restic, run `restic cache --cleanup` to remove them
{"total_size":233036305352,"total_file_count":1373911}
restic stats -r rest:https://restic.mimas.internal.nobbz.dev/nobbz -H mimas    41.59s user 2.08s system 110% cpu 39.415 total

Is there anything I can do to speed up the operation?

Without knowing your restic & rest-server versions, the hardware and rough specifications, network / I/O conditions, how many snapshots you have, etc., it’s impossible to say.

$ /nix/store/q3f1npb45q0xrxkq3fsi312l74iaiah5-restic-rest-server-0.11.0/bin/rest-server --version
rest-server version rest-server 0.11.0 compiled with go1.17.11 on linux/amd64
$ restic version
restic 0.13.1 compiled with go1.17.11 on linux/amd64

The restic.mimas.internal.nobbz.dev resolves to a locally bound IP, which I can usually use with 0 latency or other issues.

The host in question is selfhosting its own backups, before they get copied to b2 about once a week. There are also backups of other hosts aggregated on that backup repository.

The repository currently holds 110 snapshots and looks like this on disk (ext4):

$ df -h /var/lib/restic
Filesystem                  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/usbpool-restic  492G  389G   80G  84% /var/lib/restic

The drive holding the volume is (as one might see from the name) on a USB HDD plugged in via USB 3.0.

The Host is a repurposed laptop from ~2015 running some internal services with an “Intel(R) Core™ i5-4210M CPU @ 2.60GHz”.

During the scan, CPU gets from idle to a spike of 100% and then goes down to ~35% on average until the scan is done.

For those stats - especially running from a hard disk - 40ish seconds seems fairly reasonable. On my Raspberry Pi 4 I have a 350GB repo with 300 snapshots running on a USB 3 hard drive, stats --latest takes 20s.

This is unfortunate :frowning:

And feels wrong.

A backup without changes takes less than 15 seconds, why does a stats take nearly thrice as long?

I just want to emit some extra metrics after each backup (snapshot size, duration, etc) and has hoped that I can somehow get some of the information through the stats, though as that takes forever I am not sure anymore whether that makes sense. Especially when there are no real changes, increasing the runtime by the factor of 4 (roughly) feels wrong.

In this regard: Is there a way to get the summary of the last run in JSON format written to a file, such that logging can still capture the regular output?

The simplest solution is to save this statistical information for a snapshot within the snapshot file.
This allows to get the info immediately by a simple snapshots command, like in https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rustic-rs/rustic/main/screenshots/rustic.png

This has been discussed in Print out the backup size when listing snapshots (enhancement) · Issue #693 · restic/restic · GitHub and has been added to rustic a couple of months ago.

This post might help with diffing the last two backups, letting you see how much data was added.