Restic on Synology - cache dir

Hi
I’m running restic 0.9.6 on my Synology DS418, backup up the content to B2.
I have set the cache-directory using the $RESTIC_CACHE_DIR variable. Running restic cache displays the correct location when running it under my user and as root. But when running sudo restic cache, the path is displayed as /root/.cache/restic.
It’s is problematic on the Synology, as /root/ is placed on the small and un-expandable system partition /dev/md0.
Any ideas on how to get sudo to read and use the variable?

I have tried running the restic commands with --cache-dir, but restic check --with-cache --cache-dir /volume2/backup/restic/cache fails.

I cannot create an unprivileged user, as the setcap command is not available.

sudo -E should bring the caller’s environment variables with them. You could also create a symlink from /root/.cache/restic to your preferred location.

I’ll try that. I figured out why the command failed, my script gave me a better error this time. The past time it had just said the process has been killed.
But it turns out, it runs out of memory. I tried cleaning up the services a bit and got a successful run. It only got 2GB, considering adding more.

Hello, how did you install Restic on Synology NAS? Full Restic or just container via Docker?
I am trying to run Restic on Synology NAS as well, but still cannot find any solution.
Thank you

Were you able to find an answer to this? I’m also trying to run restic on my Synology and running into walls.