Restic ls problem

Hi, I’m new here, after months spent looking for a backup solution I chose restic, and it’s fantastic. my problem is that after giving the ls command it shows me all the files but having around 100,000 files it only shows me the latest ones and doesn’t show me all. Is there a command that shows me only the folders instead of all the files? (windows)

solution: the problem is that having many files they don’t fit into the terminal and therefore you have to modify it, just go to: terminal then right click on the tab and press settings then go to size history. thank to @rawtaz for making me understand the problem

1 Like

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but on Linux, you can run restic mount and then tree -d on one of the folders, like snapshots/latest, for example.

1 Like

I’m curious, why do you not get the full file listing? Is there something in restic that limits what you get from it?

1 Like

having many files it only shows me the latest ones it doesn’t show me the whole list because it’s as if they don’t fit into the terminal, if I can’t see them I can’t even restore them without having to restore everything.for example if I have to restore only the homework folder I can’t because it doesn’t show it to me. and I don’t want to restore everything just for one folder

1 Like

Please show us the command you’re running, a sample of the output, and let us know what you expect to see in the output.

1 Like

.\restic -r “C:\Users\harold\Desktop\backup” ls c15835fv

I just want to see all the files not just the latest ones, I think it’s a limitation of the terminal but I don’t know

1 Like

What is the c15835fv for? I use the following and it lists all the files I expect to see to a file called list.txt. Remove the “> list.txt” if you want to see the filename on the console, but it’ll just scroll.

restic.exe ls --repo C:\RepoPath\ latest > list.txt

1 Like

This. It’s probably just @harold’s terminal scroll buffer that is satured. Restic has no reason to not list all the files. Please redirect the output to a file (like in @tomwaldnz’s example), that file is then expected to contain the complete file listing.

1 Like

c15835fv snapshot ID

1 Like

Ok, that’s fine. Try my command line, pipe it to a file, and let us know how you get on. We know Restic works fine, this is most likely helping you understand the tool.

1 Like

about 4 hours ago I ran the backup and everything went well and with the ls command I can see all the files

1 Like

Great, sounds like the problem is solved. It sounds like it’s been working fine the whole time, it was just difficult to see the full output.

2 Likes