Restic logfile - list only changed files?

Hi!

I wonder if there’s an easy way to get a restic logfile which just contains the modified file per snapshot.
If I use --verbose I’ll get a neat status, but its “online” only. Using --verbose=2 could be used to be redirected to a logfile, but that is just too verbose, i.e. lists all unchanged files.
I’m stuck with windows for my machine, so no grep -v on-the-fly possible…

Is there something in between I’m missing? I’d rather not compare snapshots to find out which files changed.

As to why I’d like to have this: I just like to have a quick overview what has recently changed… I’m new to restic and try to monitor it to get the feeling right :slight_smile:

Greetings

Nico

I haven’t tried it, but could some mix with --json work for you?

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately --json combined with --verbose does not contain the changed files. And again, combined with --verbose=2 it contains all files, even unchanged ones.

Greetings

Nico

There are several topics in the forum that have methods of getting the changed/added/deleted listing. The following works for me. I use this at the end of the bash script for backups. The script is executed as a cron job so I get the results emailed to myself. If there aren’t a lot of changes then running it from a console is satisfactory.

PREV=$(/usr/bin/restic snapshots --compact | tail -4 | head -1 | awk '{print $1}')
LAST=$(/usr/bin/restic snapshots --compact | tail -3 | head -1 | awk '{print $1}')
/usr/bin/restic diff "$PREV" "$LAST"

Using --json with the jq utility would make the script more robust as well as require one fewer invocations of restic:

Hi!

Thanks for the input :slight_smile:

Greetings

Nico