Restic copy [from s3 to s3] & [naming of Variables]

Hi there,

i am in the process to move my backups from ‘S3’ to ‘sftp’ via

restic copy

i got it all running, but according to the docs,i had to set up the VARIABLES like this:

#source   (the s3 instance)
export AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID=<xxx_id>
export AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY=<xxx_key>
export RESTIC_FROM_PASSWORD=<xxx_password>
export RESTIC_FROM_REPOSITORY=<xxx_repo>

##destination (the sftp instance)
export RESTIC_REPOSITORY=<yyy_repo>
export RESTIC_PASSWORD=<yyy_password>

what puzzled me most was that there was e.g. only one AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID , in the docs was no FROM_AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID .
So i hoped that the AWS credentials would work in my setting. I tried and it worked. So everything is fine for me.
But i wonder if it wouldn’t be better to use a syntax like:
FROM_AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY
FROM_AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID
Just like the RESTIC_PASSWORD became RESTIC_FROM_PASSWORD in the copy command.
That way it would cause less irritations (at least for a infrequent user of this option.)

AND it would be possible to implement a “restic S3 to S3 copy” , which i suppose does not work atm, because there is no way to set up two diffent S3 credentials.

Currently it’s only possible to configure one instance of each backend type. As a workaround, you can use the rclone backend to read from S3 and then use the builtin S3 backend to upload to S3. Duplicating each backend configuration variable unfortunately isn’t that easy as a lot of these variables are directly processed by the backend library and not by restic.

Hello,
@MichaelEischer
I’m looking for the same functionality. Are there any plans to introduce it?

It will likely only be added once we get around to add a config file for restic. And I don’t have the slightest clue when that might happen, sorry.

Thanks for the answer!
Do I understand correctly this is the correct issue to follow?

It will be either that issue or a followup issue for it.