I have been using restic within my team for about one year now, in several contexts: server backup, workstation backup, my own pc, etc. Restic is a great tool, however I think it’s a bit too power-user-ish. I’m not talking about the lack of an UI. But rather by the fact to use it effectively in production => probably a lot of users have scripts around restic.
I’d like to generalize the scripts that we are using, and to publish this as a project that may be reused by others. I have the name “restic-companion” in mind.
The features that our “wrapper” script will have:
- gather the output and send it to healthchecks.io; enabling though robust email notifications in case of failure + log of the executions
- lvm snapshot
- periodic command that checks the health of the backup. I saw that the restic docs mention it quite a lot. So my understanding is that a production use should periodically run it.
- prune logic, e.g. to keep only a specified amound of backups. E.g. 1 month, etc.
- are you aware of such initiatives? If yes, it would be interesting to take a look to see if we cannot reuse the existing work
- do you have any comments on our initiative? Do you have remarks that could help?
PS: we use “node js” for scripting, to have win-linux compatibility.