Restic-Browser: A cross-platform GUI to browse restic repositories

Hi all.

Because I needed this for my own Restic backups, and because I’ve been wanting to get into Golang for a while, I started developing a simple Restic backup browser GUI. I know there have been a few attempts at this, but none of them felt right to me.

It’s based on the excellent wails2 library.

Download

Prebuilt binaries of the initial beta release can be downloaded at the GitHub releases page.

Features

• Displays contents (snapshots, files) of local or remote Restic repositories.
  • Restores selected files or folders (as zip archives) to a desired location.
  • Previews selected files by moving them to the temp and then opening them with your OSs associated default program.

This is not a full-blown Restic backup tool GUI - it only allows you to browse existing repositories!

More info can be found at the GitHub at emuell/restic-browser.

7 Likes

Hey, it looks great. I see it supports remote repos so does it support using rclone as backend?

1 Like

Not yet, but this should be very easy to add.

I’ve created an issue for this now, which you can track, if you want: Allow connecting to rclone locations · Issue #7 · emuell/restic-browser · GitHub

3 Likes

rclone backends can now be used in the v0.2.1 update

2 Likes

An interesting tool! Not sure why your posts are being flagged, perhaps @rawtaz can unflag them.

1 Like

It was because of being a new user and making several posts with links to the same domain. I’ve unflagged them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This looks fantastic. Any chance of making this a full blown GUI to restic? Really the only thing restic is missing is a good GUI – would be even better if this got merged into the main restic repo and became the official GUI.

1 Like

Thank you! Will test this as soon as I can.

Thanks for the feedback!

At the moment this is not really planned, but if there’s interest and there are people who would help with the implementation, I’d be happy to help make it a full Restic Tool GUI.

1 Like

@emuell Fantastic tool! Thanks a lot!

It really is like the missing link. :grin: I am learning rclone and restic. And just what I needed was a quick way to get to a file or folder in the repository and retrieve it without fuss.

It works perfect. Tested on Windows 10 and 11 with rclone repositories on Google Drive

A small improvement would be that the program can remember the data from the repository so as not to have to type it again. Maybe you did it this way for a security issue.

Greetings and thanks

Try setting RESTIC_REPOSITORY and RESTIC_PASSWORD, then start restic from than env.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! :grin:

I am just playing around with this, looks very nice so far and excuse me if this has been asked before but is there a way to start the browser with a repo already selected, to thereby get past having to put it in manually every time? TIA
Peter

1 Like

Create batch file with

set RESTIC_REPOSITORY=YourRepositoryAdress 
set RESTIC_PASSWORD=YourRepositoryPassword`

c:\restic-browser.exe

restic-browser.exe need to be in root of C: drive or change last line to point where do you have restic-browser.exe file.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I’m on Linux and I’ll try and translate it into something I can use. Thanks again!

Peter

1 Like

Change set to export in linux.

1 Like

#!/bin/bash
export RESTIC_REPOSITORY=/home/peter/backthis
export RESTIC_PASSWORD=******
/usr/bin/Restic-Browser

Actually, the above worked really nicely. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Hello
i’m trying to use restic-browser on my windows laptop.
backup works great and also browse from command line…
to comfort i would use restic-browser with rclone

but when i open repo i have this error

so i create a batch with

set RESTIC_PASSWORD=YourRepositoryPassword`

but i can pass my rlcone.exe path?

on command line i use
c:.…\restic.exe -o rclone.program=“./rclone.exe” and works…

thank you in advance

make sure that rclone binary location is on your PATH.

thank you for reply.

i try to edit bat with

set RESTIC_PASSWORD=YourRepositoryPassword
set PATH=C:\restic
"C:\restic\Restic-Browser.exe"

but when i open bat,
i have this error

of course
rclone.exe and rclone.conf is in
C:\restic

thank you in advance