Restic.0.9.6-windows-386.zip

Downloaded Restic backup application. During install, Bitdefender prevented reset of homepage configuration, among other unauthorized changes. Now, the result is that Restic backup install software does NOT install.

Beside bypassing Bitdefender’s reset prevention, what is the correct solution?

restic_0.9.6_windows_386.zip (download)

Issues:

1. Installation code/instruction detected/blocked
  2. Now, install file fails to execute installation

@Bourbontown Thanks for asking about this.

Can you please tell us exactly where you downloaded the installer you are referring to?

Can you please also tell us what “other unauthorized changes” you think were attempted?

I never install restic on windows, but I cannot for the life of me see why it would try to reset a homepage and do other “unauthorized changes”. I’m beginning to suspect you downloaded some rogue restic installer, hence the questions.

3 Likes

Restic is a single self-contained portable executable on Windows, with no installation needed. There is no officially released Windows installer.

If the EXE file even tries to install anything, it’s most certainly rogue and not authentic restic.

4 Likes

Maybe the output of the antivirus software is a little vague.
As it has been reported many times, restic + AV can get in each others way.

The only sources you should download Restic from at this point are these two websites:

As @cfbao already said, the executable, no matter if it’s Windows or any other OS don’t have an installer in them. You execute them either via a Shell.

It may make sense to add the restic binary to an exclusion list.
There have been some threads here on the forum - please use the search function and if you can’t find what you are looking for, come back to this thread and we will sort it out.

Also a screenshot of the error message you are seeing would be very helpful as well!

@Bourbontown Please respond to my first reply, so we don’t have to speculate.

I will look into the matter more carefully. In the meantime, two things:

1. Recommended download link:

2. Yes or no: Does restic have a copy of sales receipt?

Bourbontown

The linked files under “Assets” at Releases · restic/restic · GitHub .

Are you asking if when downloading restic you get a receipt to use in your business or similar? If so, no. It’s open source and free software - there is no sales going on at all. If you ever saw a receipt of that type for restic, you know you’re dealing with someone not affiliated with the restic project.

2 Likes

Oh, what am I thinking? Yes, zero cost for open source application software!

I would appreciate if you answer my initial questions, as it’s quite important for us to know if there’s rogue restic software out there. The questions were:

Can you please tell us exactly where you downloaded the installer you are referring to?

Can you please also tell us what “other unauthorized changes” you think were attempted?

1 Like

…Oops! Confused. The issue has to do with ESUS. Duh! Case closed.

David

@Bourbontown Understood. But please tell us exactly where you downloaded the program from?

1 Like