Resources limitation

Hello everybody,
I discovered restic this morning and I am enthusiast about his product.
Is there any option to limit resources (bandwith, cpu, …) consumption?
For instance, bandwith limitation can be done with rsync, backuppc or bareos.
Thanks in advance.

I don’t believe that restic can apply bandwidth limits, but you can accomplish this by using restic alongside of rclone, in particular the rclone serve restic command with the --bwlimit option. Restic then talks to rclone, and rclone talks to the backend, throttling as necessary.

Thanks, it is a good solution.
And thanks for your reactivity, I’ll be able to resume my tests.

What about the --limit-upload option? I use this and it seems to work.

–limit-upload int limits uploads to a maximum rate in KiB/s. (default: unlimited)

D’oh, I don’t know how I missed that!

Thanks, I am on debian 9 and I test the default version of restic, 0.3.3 and tha flad --limit-upload does not exist.

On the documentation https://restic.readthedocs.io/en/stable/faq.html
I found How to prioritize restic’s IO and CPU time
ionice -c2 nice -n19 ./restic -r /media/gour/backup/ backup /home

I download last version 0.9.4 and option --limit-upload works very well.
THANKS

Yeah, don’t use the version in Debian. It’s too old to be useful.

ionice is typically redundant as the kernel will automatically raise or lower the I/O priority of a process proportional to its nice value. nice -n19 should be sufficient.

Which restic version is Debian 10 (currently in freeze) going to provide? If it hasn’t upgraded to a current version, then I would build a current version from source and use that. I found the build process very easy and seamless. You have to install the Go compiler and that is available in apt, easy.

According to p.d.o, Buster currently has 0.9.4.

systemd-run --scope  -p CPUQuota=15%  -p IOWeight=10  -p IOReadBandwidthMax="/dev/sda 10M" restic