Remove lock: file does not exist with Synology SFTP

Hello,

i created my first restic backup today and the experience was great. But in the end i get the error that the lock-file cannot be deleted because the file does not exist.

I used the command restic -r sftp://synology-nas:/path backup ~

But when i log in with the restic user i created, i can see and remove the lock files. Works with SSH and SFTP manually.
restic unlock does result in the same error.
I tried restic cache --cleanupno old cache dirs found

I tried with the restic version in the Ubuntu installer and the latest version 0.12.1

Has anybody here had the same problems or can point me to a solution?

Here’s the error output:

Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 15.394871241s: file does not exist
Warning: at least one source file could not be read
Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 507.606314ms: file does not exist
Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 985.229971ms: file does not exist
Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 803.546856ms: file does not exist
Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 1.486109007s: file does not exist
Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 2.070709754s: file does not exist
Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 3.67875363s: file does not exist
Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 4.459624189s: file does not exist
Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 6.775444383s: file does not exist
Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 15.10932531s: file does not exist
Remove(<lock/de39bf3405>) returned error, retrying after 13.811796615s: file does not exist
error in cleanup handler: file does not exist

I don’t know Synology NAS but on my Qnap, I can set that connections via (s)FTP only have rights to write into folders and not to delete. I’ve to enable/disable that for the whole share and this has priority over user rights.

Thank you for yor answer @underwoodblog!

It seems, i found the solution by myself. I deactived the recycle bin option for the backup volume and now restic doesn’t complain anymore. Will do some more testing if this really did fix it.

For the SFTP rights, i checked and even when i connected via sftp user@nas i could see and remove the files. From my understanding, restic should have used the same mechanics.

Do you guys think this is a bug?

1 Like

@kevinschweikert Did you end up finding a fix for this? I’m having the same exact issue, and it is frustrating.

I haven’t tried disabling the recycling bin, but that would require that I isolate backups on a volume, I guess. Right now, have them in the my home folder, and would like the recycling bin to be enabled.

I had the same issue. It seems to be a bug, related to recycle bin:

I did some digging and fixed the issue.

It’s related to this issue on Github if anyone else has the same issue and stumbles upon this. The workaround there worked for me.