Raspbian / Debian apt repo is out of date - installing Restic 0.11 instead of 0.13

I’m installing Restic on a Raspberry Pi to do backups - I already use it on Windows / EC2 / etc. I figured I’d use the apt installer that way it would upgrade automatically. However, restic is up to v0.13 and it’s only installing v0.11.

Does anyone know how restic gets update in the apt repo? Is there perhaps a repo that is kept more up to date? I found this closed issue from 2017 which suggests a person has to manually upload Restic each time there’s a new release.

I know I can install the standalone binary, but automatic update are nice to have :slight_smile:

apt install restic
Get:1  http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main arm64 restic arm64 0.11.0-1+b5 [7,572 kB]
Unpacking restic (0.11.0-1+b5) ...

restic version
restic 0.11.0 compiled with go1.15.9 on linux/arm64

Debian tends to be quite conservative with packages in general, not only with restic. I don’t think there is much you can do about that .

I would highly recommend to install the binary. Regarding automatic updates: just do a “restic self-update” after your regular apt Update sessions .

3 Likes

Debian Bullseye is the “stable” release, which ONLY receives security updates after release. They have other releases if you prioritize newer versions over stability. See Debian -- Debian Releases to learn more.

1 Like

Thank you both, that’s very useful. If I change to the “testing” release that would get me up to Restic 0.12.

I think I’ll go with the binary install and have Restic self update - thanks @betatester77

2 Likes

Here’s what I use in my Dockerfile. I know you are running native, but maybe this will help.

It just grabs the latest release and installs in the Docker image. Just set ARCH_STRING to what you need when building. For example “linux_arm” or “linux_amd64”

ARG TAG_ALPINE=latest
FROM alpine:${TAG_ALPINE}

ARG ARCH_STRING=linux_arm

# Applying fs patch for assets
ADD rootfs.tar.gz /

RUN mkdir /backup

WORKDIR /restic

RUN apk update && \
    apk add wget curl tzdata rclone && \
    rm -rf /var/cache/apk/*

RUN chmod +x /restic/* && \
    ln -s /restic/status.sh /usr/local/bin/status

RUN wget $(curl -s https://api.github.com/repos/restic/restic/releases | grep "browser_download_url" | grep "$ARCH_STRING.bz2" | head -n 1 | cut -d '"' -f 4) -O ./restic.bz2 && \
    bzip2 -cd "./restic.bz2" > "./restic" && \
    rm restic.bz2 && \
    chmod +x restic

ENTRYPOINT ["./entry.sh"]

Disclosure: this originated from GitHub - steilerDev/restic-docker: Run the restic backup utility in a docker container

1 Like