Possible bug in stats?

Environment: 2 identical machines
Both running restic 0.15.2 compiled with go1.20.3 on linux/amd64
Both backing up to the same remote repo

I observe that on both machines, running ‘restic stats lastest --host A’ reports a size of 24.604 MiB.
The expected output should be something like 6 GiB.

Why do I have that expectation? Because the latest snapshot contains a file that is ~4 GiB which gets written just before the snapshot is created. This file (a tar file) seems to be correctly backed up: I restored it and checked md5sum: It’s the same for both the original and the restored file.

Things I noted

• original file is read from ext4, restored file was saved to zfs
  • stat shows the same size for both files
  • md5sum is the same for both files
  • du on both files reports the same “apparent size”, but a different device usage (3,8GiB vs 1,8GiB - maybe because of the different FS?)
  • Nevermind the different size reported by “du”, restic should still not tell me the snapshot is “24 MiB”.

Do I have a wrong expectation, perhaps regarding the output of the stats command?

We’re probably experiencing the same thing: Restic shows huge amount of data being backed up while there is none - #2 by aerbil313

Edit: Mine is apparently the case of virtual filesystems etc. being included resulting in more size showing up than it should. Yours I don’t know.

The default mode of stats should output the file size after a restore operation.

Can you provide the full output of restic stats latest --host A ? Please also check the output of restic ls --host A -l latest. How did you specify the snapshot for the restore command, also as latest --host A?

repository 0214ba19 opened (version 2, compression level auto)
scanning...
Stats in restore-size mode:
     Snapshots processed:  1
        Total File Count:  1700
              Total Size:  24.604 MiB
snapshot c9da2142 of [... /media/bindmounts/usbhdd/backup] filtered by [] at 2023-07-18 01:36:32.583057236 +0200 CEST):
-rw-r--r--     0     0 3577497600 2023-07-18 01:36:08 /media/bindmounts/usbhdd/backup/myfile-2023_07_18-01_30_00.tar

Yes, I did just that.

@MichaelEischer: Anything I can do to get to the bottom of this? I can provide all kinds of logs or debug output, if necessary.

Is the file count reported by restic stats latest smaller than of restic ls -l latest | wc -l by one?

$ restic stats latest
scanning...
Stats in restore-size mode:
     Snapshots processed:  1
        Total File Count:  3574
              Total Size:  135.471 MiB
$ restic ls -l latest | wc -l

There’s currently no debug output in the stats command to would explain what’s going on.

I confirm: File count by stats latest is 1 less than by ls -l latest.
I’ll start backing up into a new repo to be sure everything’s fine.

Update: It just happened again with the same 2 hosts backing up to a new repo.
restic diff (latest, size is off vs. the previous one, where the size is normal) shows the files correctly (especially the large tar file being ‘replaced’ [old file -, new file +]). Size seems correct, too:

Added:   1.089 GiB
Removed: 1.031 GiB

Still, restic stats latest shows the snapshot size to be 28.435 MiB.

I’ve just noticed that the stats command does not correctly differentiate between inodes from different devices: stats: Fix hardlink tracking across multiple filesystems by MichaelEischer · Pull Request #4503 · restic/restic · GitHub . Could that maybe be the cause of the wrong snapshot size? It would be consistent with stats returning the correct number of files, but not counting some file’s size.

Sounds possible, but I can’t test that in the near future as $dayjob and some family stuff are extremely demanding ATM. I’ll keep it in mind and will check it, probably around xmas.

I’ve merged #4503. But we’re still interested in your feedback to know whether the problems you’re seeing are actually fixed or whether there’s a second bug hidden somewhere.

Than you for #4503 - I have tested and can confirm that stats now outputs the correct size. Marking as solved :slight_smile:

2 Likes