No snapshot to restore?

I backed up some of my data using restic around a year ago and I’ve been recently wanting to restore it to a new computer. My issue is when I try running restic snapshots on my repo nothing appears.
image.

Now the thing is I know for a fact there is data in this repo, and 245 GB at that. Trying to run a backup on the latest doesn’t work as well, as I just get the error latest snapshot for criteria not found: no snapshot found Paths:[] Host:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome back!

It seems that restic did not finish a singe backup. Is that possible? Are you aware that something (the system, or yourself) terminated restic before it had the chance to complete?

You can try to run restic recover, which will create a snapshot containing all unreferenced data in the repo, which should in your case be all data in the repo. It won’t be perfect, but better than nothing. Please report back!

Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply. I made sure the backup wasn’t interrupted and fully completed. I will run restic recover now and will update here when I am finished.

So this is what happened when I tried restoring it

Hello,

Is there anything I can do to get my data back? It’s really annoying knowing my files are in there and I can’t access them.

The screenshot you posted looks like restic is trying to access data it cannot find. This particular error is not handled well, you (as the user) should not see an ugly stack trace.

I would do the following:

1. Run restic rebuild-index, which re-indexes all data in the repository. This will take some time.
  2. Then run restic recover again, hopefully this time it works.

Please let us know if it does not, and post the error. Maybe I can throw something together so that the error are ignored and restic continues anyway, so you have a chance to get your data back.