New to forum..Wanted to share my setup

Just started with Restic and really like it. I have created a desktop launcher that calls a script with Zenity as a quasi gui to speed up typing.

sample script that gets called by a desktop launcher

#!/bin/bash

# Remember, has its limitations and by no means perfect. 

restic_PATH=/usr/bin 

ask=`zenity --list --title="Backup-Restic" --column="0" "Backup" "Check" "Prune" "Mount" "List" --width=100 --height=300 --hide-header`

if [ "$ask" == "Backup" ]; then
    restic -r /home/user/someplace backup ~/Documents --password-file=/home/user/otherfile/.restic.txt 

fi

if [ "$ask" == "Check" ]; then
    restic -r /home/user/someplace check --read-data --password-file=/home/user/otherfile/.restic.txt 

fi

if [ "$ask" == "Prune" ]; then
    restic -r /home/user/someplace forget --keep-last 3 --prune --password-file=/home/user/otherfile/.restic.txt
fi

if [ "$ask" == "Mount" ]; then
    restic -r /home/user/someplace mount /home/user/someplace_else --password-file=/home/user/otherfile/.restic.txt

fi
if [ "$ask" == "List" ; then
    restic -r /home/user/someplace snapshots --password-file=/home/user/otherfile/.restic.txt
fi
/bin/bash
exit 0

Thought this might help someone interested in doing the same thing.
Thanks much for this program, it is great!
Regards,
E

3 Likes

Should have mentioned, the /bin/bash at the bottom of the previous script posted was to keep the terminal open after completion of the selected task. Otherwise commands like “snapshots” execute and close the terminal faster then you can see what you need.

Also, here is my .desktop launcher file for those who use Tilix.

Regards,
E