Is it safe to roll back from 15.0 to 14.0?

Is there any reason I shouldn’t downgrade back to 14.0?

I’m hitting two bugs with 15.0, the backblaze “b2_download_file_by_name: 404: : b2.b2err” error, documented here, and then the fact that restic prune with “-q” generates output - documented here.

This means my once quiet backups at night now generate a lot of emails from cron.

I’m thinking of rolling back to 14.0 until a newer restic is released that resolves these issues. Is there any reason I shouldn’t do this?

Thanks!

There are no changes to the repository format between 0.14.0 and 0.15.0. Thus, you can just downgrade without problems.

1 Like

A good thing BTW about the b2 bug is that it made me realize that you can also talk s3 with b2 buckets.

I didn’t know this before and i think it’s also interesting for other use cases. I already changed some of my b2 restic configs to s3 and it works well.

1 Like

There’s also a remark on how to use the S3 API to talk to B2 in the restic documentation: Preparing a new repository — restic 0.15.0 documentation

2 Likes

Yea I haven’t used the S3 API with Backblaze because the doco talks about needing to manually delete things and I won’t want/know how to do that.

The B2 API solution is working fine for me, my test restores have worked fine and rolling back to 14.0 has silenced my cron jobs.

Thank you for restic, it’s amazing.

1 Like

B2 supports lifecycle rules which can perform the necessary cleanup.