"Interactive" mode? Change upload limits & excludes on the fly

It would be pretty neat if restic had an option to append excludes and change the upload-limit, as well as possibly pausing the process (for a set time even?) while running a backup.

Initial backups of reasonably large drives over the internet are somewhat awful right now and something along those lines would help a lot imo.

You can run restic in conjunction with rclone to connect to B2 (your backend I guess). This allows you to define a timetable for bandwith limits to reduce upload speed for a time period like business hours.

1 Like

Just wanted to add that @alexweiss has been working on a PR to resume from an aborted backup. I donā€™t know how stable it is as Iā€™ve not tested it myself but wanted to mention it in case you are keen enough to try it out.

Just to clarify; Restic already 100% safely resumes from aborted backups. You can abort and restart a backup however much you want, restic will only upload what hasnā€™t already been uploaded. The difference with the PR you mentioned is that with the PR restic doesnā€™t have to re-scan all files to know what to upload and not (at the cost of a temporary file, as I understand it). So it might be useful in some cases, but if you donā€™t have a problem with restic scanning your files again itā€™s of limited point I think.