How to replicate snapshots across different locations?

Hello. Restic is a solid backup tool. It’s awesome. However, I was wondering about replicating or copying the snapshots to different locations.

I have a remote server which is creating restic backups locally. Now, I want to keep those backups in multiple different servers. Should I just copy the snapshots using rsync or is there any organized way to achieve something like this?

Thanks.

1 Like

i think this has been discussed before.

I agree with the opinion of using rest-server and backing up the data multiple times.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

So, running a REST API and have multiple clients download the backup from there is one of the correct ways? I am still confused on the repository part tho. How can clients randomly download backups without having keys or password?

1 Like

I think you should describe more clearly your setup and what you are trying to achieve and people more knowledgeable than myself can chime in.

To me it sounds like you have one server (A) and A is making backups of itself on its hard drives. You want to copy these hard drives to other systems or storage media. Specifically, where would you like to copy these? To your laptop? S3 backend? another server on the web? or over Tailscale?

I believe all repositories need to have a password but you could make it a simple one. You can also use a password file to have it be in the background, or if you use restic in a script. You don’t need to have usernames with REST-server.
https://restic.readthedocs.io/en/stable/faq.html#how-can-i-specify-encryption-passwords-automatically

1 Like

Apologies for the confusion.

My setup is simple: Server A creates backups everyday and I just want to simply keep multiple copies of it. The target backup locations are a few web servers and my PC.

Currently, I have settled for creating a copy of the main repository and then transferring it to my desired backup locations.

1 Like

Access to rest-server is by default controlled using a htpasswd file. That is, clients need to have a valid user+password to access the rest-server.

Take a look at Restic Copy vs two backups .

1 Like

Take a look at Restic Copy vs two backups .

Restic is so fast at making backups that it seems like a better idea to create a backup for each destination. I agree.

1 Like