Hi. I notice that even when I set restic to verbose, all I see is uploaded intermediate index, along with errors if the connection needs to be retried. So, how do I get the filenames as its going?
Also, since it seems that the scan is done first, what happens if the file is gone by the time the backup tries to read it, is that considered an error?
Have you tried the different levels of verbosity?
-v, --verbose n[=-1] be verbose (specify --verbose multiple times or level n)
I have tried the first level, but I was wondering if anyone knew so I
would not have to keep trying different levels – I thought surely the
first level would work, it doesn’t really tell you much.
restic -vv and more verbose output prints filenames and their full path and whether they are new to the repository or if they are unchanged.
As a result it also prints all files that are being “walked” by the
restic backup command.
Hope this answers your question. If so please mark it as such
Any way I can get just the new file names? I would really like to
know what this is doing.
What you can do is you can use some grep etc to get the output that fits your workflow.
For example appending
| grep -E "new.*saved.*added" outputs all lines where restic has added new files to the repository.
If you want to make the output look nice you can then use probably ten tools that would achieve that
Hey @covici just checking if this has solved your problems / answered your questions.
Hi. What I did was to hit -v twice and then once the file was
created, I deleted all the lines which say unchanged and then I could
get a better picture.
Thanks again for your help.
Another option if you just want to see what’s changed is
restic diff snapshot1 snapshot2 - keeps you from having to filter out the “unchanged” files.
Marking your own post as the solution after getting that info from someone else is quiet something lol
I might try that, I would have to get the ids, but I could do that by
doing restic-ls or something.
I’m the one who marked that post as the solution, as it contained an example of what the original poster did to solve the problem. I changed the solution to be your second post instead, credit where credit’s due.