Detect if the repo is initialized on rest-server

Hi,

I am trying to find the best solution to detect that the repository is not initialized on a ‘rest-server’ (I have to make the difference with a password error) in a script sh.
A lot of script (especially in docker) tries to read the file ‘$ RESTIC_REPOSITORY/config’ but on a ‘rest-server’ it does not work, or I do not know how to make it work.
Someone would have a suggestion

Regards.

0 Likes

Can you not look at the repository URL? If it’s on a rest-server the URL will have rest: at the start. I presume you mean you are on the “server” side, looking at the repository on the filesystem?

0 Likes

Yes my URL begin by ‘rest://’.
I’m not on the ‘rest-server’, I’m on the host than I want to backup and I just want to run the ‘init’ command on the repository only if needed.

0 Likes

Well, if as per your original question you want to determine if the repository is on a REST service, then simply look at the URL. If it begins with “rest:” it’s targeting a REST server.

You did say you wanted to know whether the repository was initialized on a REST server. The above won’t tell you that, because the repository could have been initialized on something else and then moved to the REST server. But that’s a different story, and I guess it’s not what you really need to know.

0 Likes

Ok to clear up by question. I have a script that makes my backup, in this script I want to test if the repository is initialized or not. if it is not initialized I initialize it, and I do my backup otherwise I do my backup. If my repo was local I would try to read the file ‘config’ and the question would be settled, but in my case it is a repo ‘rest-server’

The simple detection of an error is not enough because it must take into account other errors, password, etc.

0 Likes

Unless there’s a better way, you can always simply grep for some output from restic to know. Should be straight forward.

0 Likes

What you could do is run restic snapshots and check if it returns an error code. If the repo is not initialized, it will return a non-zero exit code. Otherwise it’ll load the list of snapshots, which also ensures that the given password is correct.

0 Likes

Thanks, there is no way to make the difference between these 2 errors (repo not init and wrong password) ?

0 Likes

I don’t think so, but I would need to check the code.

You could also issue a HEAD request for the config file, like curl -I http://rest-server:port/path/to/repo/config and check the response. If it’s there and has a non-zero size, then the repo is likely already initialized.

What are you trying to achieve, what’s your use case?

0 Likes

It sounds like your goal is to have clients auto-initialize a repository. I’d be very careful taking this approach as it can mask errors. For example, you expected a client to backup to a specific repository but it hasn’t been. You look around and find out that it’s been backing up to a different repository, which it automatically created. The client auto-initializing the repository masked the error of pointing it at the wrong repository URL.

0 Likes

I try that.

I’m trying to put a docker container into service to perform the backup, and in case of the repo isn’t initialized, doing it.
But I do not want to hide another error (password, non-exiting repo, permissions, etc.)

0 Likes

it’s a problem that can happen. But does manual initialization really protect us from this error?
I think the permissions on the repo (i use the .htpasswd on the server side) protect us better.

0 Likes

In a way, yes, because if the script doesn’t automatically initialize a repo itself, it won’t back up to the wrong one by itself.

On my backup server I have a script that checks repositories for the last snapshot and reports when they were created. I run this every now and then to see that the client (or whatever else has the key to that repo) backs up as it should. If some client doesn’t have a snapshot created in the last week or so, I investigate.

0 Likes