- Many clients whose data are to be backed up,
- a server with one or more repositories where snapshots are backed up.
As the person responsible, I would like to trigger the backups centraly from the server and have an overview (Cockpit / Grafana dashboard / …) of whether the snapshots are working everywhere or where there are problems.
For this, a service would have to be installed on each client, which is accessible from the server:
- Is the client online? And log that!
- Start a backup and what is the status?
- Cancel the backup and restart it, etc.
Are there already implementations for such a UseCase?
I could imagine that similar to locks in a repository there could also be semaphores through which client and server could exchange information.