Check a specific data file?

I have reason to believe that one specific data file (a “pack”? I’m not entirely sure of the terminology, but one of the files in the “data” portion of the repository) may not be right. I am running a restic check --read-data now, but it’s a very large repository, and will take days. I would prefer to check this one particular file immediately (while waiting for the results of the full check). I don’t see a way to do that in the documentation – only things like “check random sections of the repository”. Is there a way?

Failing that, is there a way to check what “real” file or files are composed of data that is stored in one particular data file? That way I could restore them and check their checksums.

You might want to take a look at the part of Recover from broken pack file · Issue #828 · restic/restic · GitHub which uses the restic debug examine command.

There’s currently no way to do so using the check command.

That would be restic find --pack 025c1d06 (replace 025c1d06 with the actual pack ID, either the short ID with 8 characters or the full ID with 64 characters).

1 Like

Thank you!

You can use the sha256sum program to calculate the checksum of the file in question. It should be identical to the file name. If not, the file is corrupt.

1 Like