Can't delete and recreate repository

I was trying to recreate my repository and start over. I am syncing to a cloud provider, so I deleted all files there and waited a half hour for the changes to show. During a restic command locally I noticed that it has a local cache, so I located and deleted that. Now I can neither init the new repository (“config file already exists”) nor backup to it (“unable to open config file”). See the output below:

$ restic init
Fatal: create repository at s3.region.backblazeb2.com/bucket failed: config file already exists

$ ./do-backup.sh
Fri Mar 29 00:28:05 MDT 2024
open repository
Fatal: unable to open config file: Stat: The specified key does not exist.
Is there a repository at the following location?
s3:s3.region.backblazeb2.com/bucket

Aside from deleting the cache folders I also tried the flag to ignore the cache when initing, and the flag to cleanup the cache with a check command. Neither had any effect either.

1 Like

Your call to init uses s3.region.backblazeb2.com/bucket as repository (that’s a path on the local filesystem!), whereas the backup script accesses s3:s3.region.backblazeb2.com/bucket. Notice the additional s3: prefix.

1 Like

Oh, whoops! You’re completely right, I know I had that issue earlier so I have no clue how it got back to the non-prefixed version. Thanks for the extra set of eyes!

1 Like