Backup `git` repositories?

Hi thanks for the wonderful tool! I have some git repo and also want to backup them (despite already using GitHub - I want a second backup material). Thus, the question is, is it possible to use restic to backup it? Since you know, git contains a ton of small files in .git folder so I am worried whether restic will be unhappy about that.

I have a lot of .git repos in my system that are backed up. It’s just files, restic will do it without issue IME.

@rawtaz Thank you! So how is the storage consumption? I have heard in some posts here saying restic is best for larger (~MB size) files, so I am worried about overhead. You know, code and its history (.git) can be only 1KB for example

I haven’t looked into that. Why would you worry? Just start using restic and see how it works for you.

Yes, I have already started using it. It looks wonderful (at least up to now)!

But you know, I am a programmer, so when choosing a software, it is common to read its design, and think about it whether the design suits the needs. Just like how you choose, for example, “shall I use mysql vs mongodb” etc :wink:

That’s a no-brainer. The answer is of course to use PostgreSQL! :grin:

Off-topic but related to the above; Veeam, one of the absolutely most notable backup softwares in the world, moved from MS SQL Server to PostgreSQL as their default database in their Veeam Backup & Replication v12 that was released on the 14th of February. I think that is really cool, and a testament to how good PostgreSQL is. Also says a lot about Veeam as a company I think, not being afraid of deviating from the mainstream.

1 Like

That’s a no-brainer. The answer is of course to use PostgreSQL! :wink:

Ha! :wink:

EDIT (for the added second paragraph): That’s interesting! Have heard that postgres is feature-rich.

1 Like