Restic 0.14.0 Released

Will Restic codebase itself be pruned from repository v1 code?

That would be good. People could install 0.13 by a flag using a different non-maintained code.

Otherwise, there will be a lot of dead code and bloated flags and vulnerability sources.

Thank you for this update!!!, @all devs :slight_smile:
Compression was really the missing link, and now we have it!

availability of compression sure is great news. thanks to the devs!

simple question: what would be the considered ā€œmost reasonableā€ (if not best) practice for migrating and further use of a jpeg-only repo (yes: photos :))?

it would seem that even at the chunk level jpeg data are not really compressible further significantly I guess?

so: should I just migrate and enforce compression off afterwards for all interactions with that repo? or stay with the default compression auto nonetheless? how much computational overhead (%) does auto compression cause, roughly?

I use restic to back up a variety of different systems. One of them is a nextcloud instance which mostly hosts (jpeg) images. Here are the numbers:

254G without compression
238G with compression

So, not a lot.

For my home directory, it looks like this:

382G without compression
292G with compression

A bit better.
Finally, a whole system backup (several raspi installations with a variety of data):

40G without compression
13G with compression

Thatā€™s quite significant and also expected, as a typical installation contains quite a bit of easily compressible data.

I didnā€™t notice a significant/measurable slow down during backup.

2 Likes

There are no plans at the moment to remove version 1 compatibility. After all itā€™s just a few hundred lines of code.

1 Like

Awesome release and thank you for a great project!

Here are my three machines running restic before and after compression was enabled and run for all old snapshots. Really good results :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just converted my home setup and one customer over to repo v2 and compressed the existing repos. My main repo at home has to stay as it is because I donā€™t have enough free space to recompress. So far everything went perfectly smooth without a single problem or error. Many thanks to the awesome dev team!

In case someone is interested, here are some repo sizes relative to their uncompressed original:

• Some family computers: 89%, 94%, 94% (lots of JPGs)
  • Moodle training platform: 71%
  • Web servers: 53%, 78%
  • Linux software development workstation: 64%
2 Likes

Then recompress iteratively. For my TiB remote I do it in chunks of 10GiB per day. Will take ages, though probably save me some money as it is not doubling the space used temporarily.

$  restic -r rest:https://ā€¦ prune --repack-uncompressed --compression max --max-repack-size 10G
5 Likes

Oh nice, thank you! I somehow missed that option.

2 Likes