We are currently working on an upcoming release. As you say there’s been a lot of improvement, and we’re all keen to get it out the door. You can rest assured that work is ongoing, not only to merge stuff but also towards a release.
The one in charge of releases is primarily @fd0 and although he’s not spending as much time on restic as he did e.g. a year ago, he still is working on it. It just doesn’t show as much because the work he’s doing is more backend and other less visible stuff, e.g. infrastructure. But he’s totally still around
On a general note there’s more things than usual to finish around restic itself and to coordinate in general for this upcoming release, so it’s taking more time than with earlier releases.
You’re right that the next one will be 0.10.0 as it looks now Anyway, there’s no need to worry about it, there will be a release as soon as we can get it all wrapped up.
Meanwhile, I think everyone should feel assured that they can use the latest master build, I would definitely consider it stable enough for production use. Others may differ and of course it’s individual and relative to use case and environment, but for e.g. home use and personally I run the master build in production for a bunch of client backups. I’d say go for it if you need some of the implemented changes that hasn’t been released yet.
Regarding estimate I feel I shouldn’t give one. We want to release when we think it’s ready, so giving you an estimate is not something I think would be very practical.
May I ask if there’s anything in particular that’s been merged and you’re waiting for, or that you are having trouble with that lead you to asking about this? I’m just curious.