No snapshot listing in log files

Hey!

I scrolled through some old logs and noticed a change a couple of months ago. Previously, my logs had detailed listings of snapshots.

processed 391653 files, 37.227 GiB in 7:27
snapshot 9d9f00fc saved
Applying Policy: keep daily snapshots within 7d, weekly snapshots within 1m, monthly snapshots within 1y, yearly snapshots within 2y
snapshots for (host [server], paths [/etc/apache24/httpd.conf, /etc/mail/aliases, /etc/mail/sendmail.cw, /etc/mail/virtmaps]):
keep 2 snapshots:
ID        Time                 Host        Tags        Reasons            Paths
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d2b0987a  2022-01-31 15:30:03  server                  daily within 7d    /etc/apache24/httpd.conf
                                                       monthly within 1y  /etc/mail/aliases
                                                                          /etc/mail/sendmail.cw
                                                                          /etc/mail/virtmaps

c6e1612f  2022-02-01 10:30:07  server                  daily within 7d    /etc/apache24/httpd.conf
                                                       weekly within 1m   /etc/mail/aliases
                                                       monthly within 1y  /etc/mail/sendmail.cw
                                                       yearly within 2y   /etc/mail/virtmaps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 snapshots

Now those details are missing. It says instead a lock could not be created:

processed 397712 files, 37.390 GiB in 19:26

snapshot c160ce91 saved

unable to create lock in backend: repository is already locked by PID 91718 on server by root (UID 0, GID 0)

lock was created at 2024-04-16 03:50:14 (1752h3m9.168068819s ago)

storage ID 818b69f3

the `unlock` command can be used to remove stale locks

There seems to be no error. Can’t remember I changed something lately, besides I upgraded from 0.14.0 to 0.16.4 today.

1 Like

lock was created at 2024-04-16 03:50:14 (1752h3m9.168068819s ago)

This line shows that there is a lock in the repository that was created over 1752 hours or 73 days ago. The prune command sees this lock and can only presume that it is not safe to continue pruning the repository, since a lock indicates that someone else is doing work in the repository.

The reason you are not seeing a list of snapshots is simply because that list of snapshots normally comes from your prune command, but in this case the prune never continues.

You can remove the lock with the unlock command as suggested in the output, that would make it work again.

Note that your backups were not stopped because of this, it’s just a problem with your pruning.

1 Like

Yes, thanks. Did unlock.

This wasn’t covered in my backup script. Had no such thing before and it run for almost 2 years flawlessly. :slight_smile:
Will see if I can check for existing locks with list locks. Or perhaps remove locks automatically at the end of my script anyway.

1 Like