Migrating to a different backend: does just copying over work

I’ve been backing up to my local NAS but now want to transit to B2, and want to keep all backup histories on the NAS backup. Does restic make different backup files depending on which backend is used? e.g., instead of initialize a repo on B2 and make a new backup, if I just copy over the NAS restic backup folder to B2, and point my script to the B2 backend, does it work (as if I’ve been backing up to B2 all along)? Thanks!

Hey @moiraine and welcome to the Restic community! :slight_smile:

Restic doesn’t care where the repository is stored. If you have a working repository on your local hard drive or NAS and then move it somewhere to the cloud, it will work just like it did before.
The only thing to watch out for, is that some operations restic does can be costly in terms of API usage by the cloud storage provider. A restic check can become quiet costly then if you re-read all data for example.

If you run into an issue, most of the problems have been discussed here before. So make sure to use the search :slight_smile: In most cases we all can find solutions to peoples problems.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

1 Like