I want to know how restic works on the following action items

1.performance testing
2.disk can be full to take a backup → stdin backup for mongo
3.gzip before doing restic
4.restic compression algorithm
5.git vs restic (in terms of size of the repo)

You have to be much more specific. Asking “how restic works in regards to performance testing” is a question that makes little sense.

It’s unclear what you mean or are asking. Please rephrase the question so that it can be understood.

It’s an unclear question, but a general tip is that if you want to feed compressed data to restic, you should use the --rsyncable option to gzip.

It’s unclear what you mean or are asking. Please rephrase the question so that it can be understood.

Git and restic are two completely different tools, so I’m not sure what you are asking. For version control, use git, for backing up data, use restic.

1 Like

1.performance testing- How it is performing while doing backup of large repo and my backend storage is s3 bucket on minio console
2. how it works if server disk is full in order to take a backup of mongodb/mysql we need to run the command on the server itself?
3.Restic do compressing and keep the snapshots on the backend s3/minio console in my case but before restic backup can we do gzip?
4.restic will do compression while backup and what algorithm it look into?
5.git has limit of 10GB repo limit and for Restic does it have any limitations regarding the size of taking backup of a particular file?

It performs well. You simply have to try it, since everyone’s setup, resources and other factors are different.

You are being unclear. What disk is full? If you want to back up the/a database server, you normally either run restic on the server itself, backing up the relevant files, or you run it somewhere else that still has access to the files you want to back up. It’s unclear what your actual question is.

The yet/soon-to-be-released restic version 0.14 has compression support, see the documentation at Tuning Backup Parameters — restic 0.16.3 documentation and download the restic binary which has this feature in it from here (ignore that the filename says 0.13, it’s the right one): restic beta releases (latest)

Yes, you can use gzip to zip the files you want to back up, but there’s very little point in compressing the data before backing up, when you can instead let restic apply its compression to the data as part of the backup process (alongside deduplication).

If you do gzip the data before backing it up, I again recommend that you use the --rsyncable option to gzip so that the files can still be deduplicated. If you want to feed the backup file directly to restic over stdin, you can use the --stdin and --stdin-filename options to the backup command in restic, see restic help backup.

As I mentioned above, restic can do compression, yes. It uses the zstandard (also known as zstd compression algorithm: zstd - Wikipedia

I am not aware of any relevant limitations, so I’m comfortable saying that you don’t have to think about that. But in case there are any limitations, someone else can chime in and correct me! FWIW, plenty of users use restic with both huge and small datasets, so unless you have something truly extraordinary, this is hardly a problem.

In the end, just go ahead and try it :wink: Make sure to use the latest master build I linked you to above, so you do have the version that includes compression support.

Its probably a good idea to run performance tests when storing more than 10TB or 10 Million files in a repository. In that case it’s often a good idea to split the data into multiple backup repositories.