How to log all files being backed up, without logging progress info?

I can’t figure out how to get restic to output a line for each file being backed up and not output the progress meter. I’m calling restic from a launchd job on macOS. None of the combinations of --verbose, --quiet, and RESTIC_PROGRESS_FPS I’ve tried are getting me what I want.

(What I’m looking for is the equivalent of specifying rsync -v but not rsync --progress, if that makes sense.)

Thanks for any help folks can give!
-sam

1 Like

restic diff can be used after the backup to get a list of changes, which has the advantage of displaying deletions and metadata changes.

Thanks, that’s good to know. Hopefully someone has an idea for how to make restic backup do this as well.

For me, under systemd, no progress is printed, only each file that is being checked and whether it’s going to be uploaded or not.

Does launchd assign a TTY by default?

No, but you can use RESTIC_PROGRESS_FPS to convince restic to print progress data when being run noninteractively.

restic backup ... | cat - should remove the progress output, but not affect other output, for somewhat recent restic versions (>= 0.12.0)