How to estimate PUTS GETS for S3 pricing?

I am using wasabi for 2 years with the regular s3 backend. 20 repositories, daily forgets and daily prunes.
Never had any problems. Doing check and restores from time to time, everything worked as expected by now.

Thanks @doscott & @betatester77 for your input. I’ve currently run into a problem with Wasabi whereby my Access Keys are not allowing restic access to the bucket. Unfortunately it’s the weekend so without shelling out $100 I’ll have to wait till Monday for a resolution. I tried creating a new Key set and use that but even that is not allowing access.

However it’s good to know that once things settle down Wasabi is a good choice.

@doscott I don’t understand your logic for the sequence of forget, check, prune. I would have thought you would want it to be forget, prune, check. That way any problems from prune can be caught.

I am currently planning a weekly check and a monthly prune as my data set is small and also doesn’t change much. I may however do a forget and a prune separately.

Thanks again for your inputs.

I actually forget, check, prune, check. Check is relatively quick and imposes a time delay to allow wasabi to settle down (best guess is problems are timing related).

Following is the policy I use on my restic bucket:

{
  "Version": "2012-10-17",
  "Statement": [
    {
      "Effect": "Allow",
      "Action": "s3:ListBucket",
      "Resource": "arn:aws:s3:::my-bucket-name"
    },
    {
      "Effect": "Allow",
      "Action": [
        "s3:PutObject",
        "s3:GetObject",
        "s3:DeleteObject"
      ],
      "Resource": "arn:aws:s3:::my-bucket-name/*"
    }
  ]
}
1 Like

@doscott I understand what you are saying about the sequence now.

I am however completely lost about your ‘policy’. Is this set on Wasabi? I must admit I haven’t bothered looking at Wasabi’s offering in detail as I was hoping to rely simply on restic doing ‘it’s thing’.

The policy is a set of rules for permissions on the bucket.

In the bucket list, to the right of your restic bucket press the button with the three vertical dots in the actions column and click on settings. Then select the “Policies” tab. You should be able to copy/paste the policy above into the tab and replace my-bucket-name with your bucket name. If you get the green check mark “Policy is valid” indication you should be able to save it. After that restic should be able to work with the bucket.

@doscott Thanks very much for your reply. I was able to create the repository AND backup to it yesterday without any specific policies and just my Access Keys.

So I’m still not understanding why we need the policy that you have set up.

I set up restic first on Amazon and then moved to wasabi because of cost. The guide I used:

which was very similar to the amazon s3 setup.

My memory is that the s3:DeleteObject permission is key, but it’s been a while and I won’t swear to it.

wasabi is compatible with most of the amazon s3 things (versioning being one area they don’t completely match), so looking at the restic Amazon S3 example may help:
https://restic.readthedocs.io/en/latest/080_examples.html

@doscott thanks for your reply and reference to the article. You probably haven’t seen the article recently but it has the following at the very beginning:

Edit (2020): I highly discourage using Wasabi. They have a very misleading pricing policy and you will end up with bad surprises on your invoices at the end of the month.

There is no further information about what the ‘bad surprises’ are. I take it you don’t share the same experience.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I’ve been reading up on Wasabi Policies and it would appear that I do require one. I’ll copy your’s over tomorrow. However my question still remains.

On Friday I was able to create the bucket AND then create a repository with restic AND multiple snapshots without having any policies attached to the bucket. So what has changed?

Re. why things work and then didn’t, I can’t say. A policy was required with Amazon so when I moved to wasabi I created one from the console when I created the bucket from the console.

Re. the Edit, wasabi billing has been precisely what they indicated it would be. I have never had any surprises. A recent invoice:

Details                                                                            Unit Price                  Quantity      Total
SERVICE CHARGES
 Timed Active Storage                                              $0.00016243 per GB per day             32770.7 GB-day      $5.32
 Timed Deleted Storage (applicable for deleted storage < 90 days)  $0.00016243 per GB per day             1829.25 GB-day       $0.3
 Data Transfer (in) (all regions)                                                     $0 per GB              4.19573 GB          $0
 Data Transfer (out)                                                                  $0 per GB              25.4714 GB          $0
 API Requests                                                               $0 per 1k Requests         439.621 Requests          $0
 Minimum Active Storage (applicable if Timed Active Storage <1 TB)       $4.99 per Billing Cycle                       0         $0
SUPPORT CHARGES
 Support Charge                                                                     $0 per Day                   30 Days         $0
TAXES
 Taxes (US State Sales Tax, VAT, or GST)                                                     $0                        1         $0
                                                                       Subtotal                                          $5.62
 Wasabi Technologies, Inc.          Wasabi Technologies B.V.
 29th Floor                         c/o Vreewijk Management BV         Tax                                                  $0
 111 Huntington Avenue              Kingsfordweg 151
 Boston, MA 02199                   1043 GR Amsterdam                  Paid                                              $5.62
 United States of America           The Netherlands
 billing@wasabi.com                 VAT ID: NL 8597.15.231.B01         GRAND TOTAL                                    $5.62

Thanks very much @doscott. I’m going to ask the question about why things stopped working tomorrow with their support and will report back.

Yes that is about what I’m expecting in billing per month too. It’s a pity that Stanislas doesn’t mention what his grievance was. I have posted a question on the blog. If he replies I’ll report back here too.

Have to say again, two years I am a happy wasabi customer and there were never any surprises on my monthly bill.
Of course, their data detention policy (every Byte gets billed at least 90 days even when deleted) is a disadvantage and could lead to bad surprises, but the fact it exists is no secret. You find it a hundred times on their pages.

It’s still much more cheaper than others and if I look at all the different fees at aws for example, there are way more factors that could lead to bad surprises on bills.

We use Backblaze B2 for backups. The timed storage cost is almost exactly the same. Other than that, both services have a few disadvantages:

• B2 has egress fees ($0.01/GB); Wasabi does not. (B2 is still considerably cheaper than S3, which charges $0.09/GB for egress.)
  • (Related) Wasabi has an egress cap per month; B2 does not.
  • Wasabi has a minimum storage duration per object; B2 does not.

Pick your poison. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is an interesting statement. In their FAQ they state:
“Wasabi’s free egress policy is designed for use cases where you store your data with Wasabi, you access this data at a reasonable rate, and your use case does not impose an unreasonable burden on our service. … If your monthly downloads (egress) are less than or equal to your active storage volume, then your storage use case is a good fit for Wasabi’s free egress policy. … If your storage use case exceeds the guidelines of our free egress policy on a regular basis, we reserve the right to limit or suspend your service.”
https://wasabi.com/cloud-storage-pricing/pricing-faqs/

So if you download your entire repository more than once a month, you may get a notice.

@cdhowie Thanks for the comparison. As you say…pick your poison. :slight_smile: I’ve just started with Wasabi and for my volumes there probably isn’t much to pick between the 2. I’m certainly not going to breach their minimum charge volumes.

I was however planning on running an rcheck with --read-data-subset=1/5, 2/5 etch each day which would mean that the whole repository is read once a week and therefore approximately 4 times a month. A question about this:

Am I right in my understanding that the whole repository will be read once a week and that would count towards egress?

I’ve started off the process and let’s see what Wasabi come back with.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On an earlier note about Policy requirement. @doscott I got a reply back from them asking me to delete the old set of Access Keys and just work with the new ones and that seems to be working. So currently I don’t have any ‘Policies’ set up. The bucket’s permissions are set to read/write for the owner only which is the default and also what I need, so I don’t need to change anything.

Thanks again for everyone’s help with advice and suggestions.

There is a good discussion of --read-data-subset here:

In my opinion, all of the major cloud providers are reliable, and a lot of the smaller ones actually use the major ones. I think reading your data 4 times a month is excessive; even once a month is excessive. Personally I don’t bother, but I back up to two local NAS boxes plus the cloud. I occasionally download something from each and have never had any issues with restic recoveries.

If you really want to do this level of checking you might be financially better off using redundant cloud suppliers, say wasabi and B2, skip all of the checking, then when recovering data use wasabi as first choice because of zero egress costs, and B2 in case of problems with wasabi. Combined with your local backup, the odds on not being able to recover all of your data from the three sources is minimal. If you don’t have local backup, you should consider have two cloud backups in different regions.

1 Like

Note that restic check always checks for existence of the needed pack files and with version 0.12.0, it also verifies the size of the pack files - even if called without --read-data* (it doesn’t need to read the files in order to check the file size :wink:). These tests effectively detect missing or truncated (or too large) pack files .

Personally, with the major cloud providers I would run check without reading any pack file at all (and thus fully trusting the cloud provider to properly keep the data) . If you are suspicious about your cloud provider, there is the possibility to run check --read-data-subset x% to randomly choose a subset of pack files which will be then checked by restic.

I would however run check --read-data for repos on a local HDD regularly.

@doscott and @alexweiss thanks for your suggestions. I was starting to come to similar conclusions that what I was proposing was an OVERKILL.

I haven’t quite worked out my strategy yet. Although I don’t have too much data is is CRITICAL to the company’s day to day operations and therefore the need to get BACK good data is important.

I’ll have a think about it further but very much appreciate your guys guidance and thoughts. A second repo with a different provider would be a good thing.

My server is with Rackspace so there is no ability for ‘local’ backups…although they do offer a ‘block storage’ facility but that would still be within the same region.

HO HUM!! Who would have thought backups needed so much thought. :slight_smile:

Right. This makes running restic check --read-data dangerous because if you need to restore within the same month then they might suspend your account. Even restic prune could get you into trouble since repacking requires downloading data only to reupload it again.

I prefer Backblaze’s approach: you just pay $0.01 per GB of egress and you can decide what is worth running. You can run whatever you are willing to pay for.

Do you mean 1/7, 2/7, etc.? 1/5 means the repository will be fully read every 5 days, not every week. (Unless you are only running this on business days, or something like that.)

Yes, this would count towards egress. If you are on Wasabi then this approach would get your account suspended in probably under two weeks since you are doing more egress than you have total storage within a month.

This would be fine to run on B2, as long as you’re willing to pay the egress fees for it. Instead you could consider running 1/28, 2/28 etc. on days 1-28 of each month (to account for February). This will check all data in the repository every month. This is still not a great idea on Wasabi, but on B2 it would accomplish roughly the same thing once per month and at about a 1/4 of the monthly egress fees.

@cdhowie Thanks very much for your considered response. Yes perhaps once a month for overall coverage of the repo during check would be enough…although given the enhancements in 0.12.0 it may be that just check by itself daily is probably enough.

The worst thing about having ‘options’ is you want the one with the MOST belts and braces.

Currently I am continuing to have problems with Wasabi access using the API. Although their support are helpful I don’t think they are getting close to solving it. Given my timescales I may have to start on Backblaze b2.

UGH!!

Just a final note on here. Firstly many thanks for everyone’s comments and suggestions. Very helpful indeed.

My problems with connecting to Wasabi turned out to be a typo error in my shell script for which I’m embarrassed but relieved that it’s working.

I have for the moment decided to not use the -read-data-subset flag so restic is only checking meta data. I’ll periodically pull down random data till I feel completely at ease. Also I will probably set up a second repository on Backblaze b2.

Thanks everyone.

1 Like