How did you hear about restic?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Wikipedia page about restic

I found restic on this page about tools written in Go while researching Hugo. Then I watched the talk from CCC Cologne and was convinced.
Haven’t tried it yet, but already installed on my Gentoo laptop.

1 Like

a rclone issue pointed me to restic , using it since :slight_smile:

I was talking about photo backups in Photoprism github repo and everybody was using Restic, so I investigated and now it looks like I’m going to switch from Borg backup to Restic

:smiley:

also guys, check out Photoprism, a self-hosted Google Photos alternative

1 Like

I was using BackInTime for a long time. I liked the simple and transparent format, every backup is readable without any extra tool and deduplication is done via hardlinks, no differences between full and incremental backups, multiple snapshots and a forget-strategy. And it is open source. But it is no longer developed.

So I searched for a replacement and I quickly found tool comparisons that pointed me to restic. And I once worked for CERN and they now use it. Restic has all the advantages backintime had and adds

• encryption (that outweighs the less transparent format)
  • intelligent deduplication (works extremely well for small changes in large files, changed metadata, renaming,…)
  • many backends
  • good command line interface (except the missing config)
2 Likes

last year I’ve searched for a backup solution and think I first heard about restic in a podcast.
I think it was one of them

2 Likes

Reddit, hacker news, online forums, software engineer friends, system administrators, comparison lists published online, GitHub stars, etc.

Honestly, I am amazed that some of these high quality open source software are free. I hope we come up with a system that open source developers get paid for the work they do by users. Some sort of licensing. I heard right now it’s a broken system.

Switched from Borg (I still sometimes use Borg for secondary backup).

2 Likes

How/where did you first get to know about restic, and if at first you didn’t pursue it further, what made you finally do so later on?

I came here looking for alternatives to Cobian Backup, a free program that I have used for years to backup. (Although it does not have good tools to recover the information at a given point and you have to do some manual operations).
But what motivated me most to look for alternatives is that Cobian Backup does not have cloud backup implemented, only FTP.
Searching Google, Reddit, and sites that list alternatives I came across names like Duplicati and Restic.

1 Like

I was looking for an alternative to Duplicati, which I have been using for a couple years (probably), but I’ve had some trouble with it. I’m did a search back then and chose duplicati. I must have seen restic back then, and chosen not to follow up on it, probably because of the lack of Gui and the need to have manually managed scripts and cron-jobs, and also almost certainly because of the extremely bad performance listed here - the first hit on a search for ‘performance duplicati vs restic’

Restore time was listed as 57m for restic and 3m28s for Duplicati. Restore duration may not be that essential but that was a crazy difference and given that I didn’t know restic was more reliable at the time, that’s where I stopped.

When looking for an alternative due to me getting suspicious about the source-code-quality and design-choices of Duplicati, I ran into this:

That introduction was so simple, and esp. the diff sold me, even though it might not be very relevant. It just looked like a totally beautiful and made me start believing that made it was at least partially backups-done-right.

Then I tried it out and was a bit shocked at how fast it was to get started on the first backups. Getting set up probably has still turned out to be a hassle with all the various projects and settings and docker-complications but that’s another story.

2 Likes

@arberg Curiously, we arrived at restic through similar paths (and through the same article). Thanks for the second link.

1 Like