Help with error: `fdopendir: not a directory`

Hi all,

I’m seeing errors when I run restic check or restic rebuild-index but running a backup, listing snapshots and restoring works fine. Is this something I should worry about (it seems so!) and is there anything I can do to recover this backup or do I need to start fresh?

The errors I’m seeing are:

❯ restic -r /Volumes/backup check
using temporary cache in /var/folders/8c/ydz8t7md7pz7gy6k4f3dlgww0000gn/T/restic-check-cache-127483548
repository d5249c9e opened successfully, password is correct
created new cache in /var/folders/8c/ydz8t7md7pz7gy6k4f3dlgww0000gn/T/restic-check-cache-127483548
create exclusive lock for repository
load indexes
check all packs
List(data) returned error, retrying after 552.330144ms: fdopendir: not a directory
List(data) returned error, retrying after 1.080381816s: fdopendir: not a directory
List(data) returned error, retrying after 1.31013006s: fdopendir: not a directory
List(data) returned error, retrying after 1.582392691s: fdopendir: not a directory
List(data) returned error, retrying after 2.340488664s: fdopendir: not a directory
List(data) returned error, retrying after 4.506218855s: fdopendir: not a directory
List(data) returned error, retrying after 3.221479586s: fdopendir: not a directory
List(data) returned error, retrying after 5.608623477s: fdopendir: not a directory
List(data) returned error, retrying after 7.649837917s: fdopendir: not a directory
List(data) returned error, retrying after 15.394871241s: fdopendir: not a directory
fdopendir: not a directory
pack a60f308d: does not exist
pack 2ba4128f: does not exist
pack 6bf9239d: does not exist
pack 7aa392f5: does not exist

I’m on a macOS (11.2.1), the backup is running to an external SSD and restic version gives restic 0.12.0 compiled with go1.15.7 on darwin/amd64.

Many thanks!

Huh, that’s indeed odd. I guess that somehow the subdirs below data/ in the repo (/Volumes/backup/data) are not complete, usually there are sub directories data/00 to data/ff (256 of them). Can you check if some are missing or are not directories at all?

Did you maybe copy the repo from somewhere else and some files/subdirs did not get copied over?

Thanks for the reply. All the 256 directories are there. I moved all of restic’s directories into a subdirectory (/Volumes/backup/restic/) and then back again but that’s the only movement of files I’ve done.

Does any one have a good idea about what I can do here? It seems odd that some of the commands work (specifically restoring) but check and rebuild-index don’t.

Sorry to keep bumping this. This problem is not confined to my initial repository.

I decided to create a new repository but I’m seeing the same problem on new ones too. I tried twice - once on the same external SSD and once to the internal one - same problem on both.

Which filesystem are you using? Have you tried using a different filesystem?

APFS on macOS 11.2.1. No, I haven’t tried it on another file system.

I downgraded to v0.11.0 to see if there was any difference and the problem has gone away so this appears to be something introduced by v0.12.0.

This sounds like a bug. Please open an issue on Github and include as many information as you can for developers to narrow it down.

Thanks. Done - check and rebuild-index error with fdopendir: not a directory · Issue #3302 · restic/restic (github.com)

2 Likes

Just a summary of this issue for posterity, and for anyone who ends up here after receiving this error on a Mac (or perhaps another file system):

On restic versions up to and including 0.12.0 (released on 2021-02-14), a .DS_Store file created in the ./data directory (or any other regular file created in that directory), will cause this error. The issue was quickly fixed on master and the issue should be moot as of 0.13.0. I can confirm that the issue is resolved if using a nightly build as of 2021-05-09.

Fix:

• You could upgrade to 0.13.0 once that gets released
  • In the meantime, you could also switch to nightly builds
  • Or you could go into the ./data directory and remove the offending file, be it .DS_Store or any other file. Just take care to do it in a terminal and remember to look for hidden files as well.