Getting started - stumped at SFTP

Have started, will get into it over the weekend and hopefully the new release wil be ready for action sometime soon after.

Thanks millions, you’ve been an enormous help. Greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Just to clarify for you - the cache isn’t something you really need to worry about, in terms of moving or changing the location of. All restic operations can work without the cache; it’s entirely temporary.

You can move your repository to another drive or folder. So say you perform test backups to C:\Backup and then decide you want to move the repository to the F: drive - you can just move the Backup folder to F:, then use -r F:\Backup when calling restic. Next year you change the drive letter to G: - no problem, just change the repository location accordingly. Again, ignore where the cache is located, just let restic take care of it; you don’t need it to backup or restore.

This restic GUI might be of interest to you, although it is only for browsing/restoring repositories.

@GeoffW Restic 0.14.0 has now been released. You can download it at Releases · restic/restic · GitHub and then use it as discussed before. But you don’t have to supply the --repository-version 2 option to the init command that I mentioned earlier - repository version 2 is the default in restic 0.14.0, so it’s not needed. Just e.g. restic -r F:\Backup init will suffice, followed by the relevant backup command you want, as discussed before.

Apologies for long silence, have shelved the idea of using Restic. It’s way beyond my pay grade and I’ve settled on Duplicati. I’m still in need of a reliable and easy to use (for a non techie) tool for system backup and ecovery.