Feature Request: Amalgamated restore?

Not sure if this is useful enough to most people to be considered, but, consider this scenario. You have a folder which is constantly having unique files added + removed to and from it. As such, you take snapshots every 30 minutes. When it comes time to restore, you cannot remember when the file was added.

As I understand it currently, you can only browse snapshots by latest, or by time created. What I thought may be helpful is the ability to have an “amalgamated” folder, whereby the latest version of every unique file that has ever existed in that location is shown (in this case, making it easy to find the file you’re after - for example, if it was a photo, you could simply scroll through all until you find it, without having to change folders multiple times).

Is this feasible, or useful enough, to consider?

The restic mount command allows you to see all versions of a directory. And so you can browse for when the file to find the change you want. But it doesn’t let you focus on a certain pathname and only show changes that impact that pathname.

One drawback of mount is that I don’t think it works on Windows.

WSL to the rescue?! I haven’t tried it myself yet but I would be interested to hear if anybody already played with it.

Thanks for your reply - I do understand that you can see all different versions, however, for a directory that’s almost used as a “staging” directory (let’s say, 5 photo’s added and removed every snapshot, but you only know a 3 day window where your photo was present, and you have 30-minute interval snapshots), it’s going to take a while to go through all of them - this is where I see it being useful (you can see all photo’s to ever exist in one directory). :slight_smile:

In this case I’d probably mount the snapshots and find+rsync all JPGs within the time window to a new directory where I can browse through them. Not the perfect solution you asked for, but should be a lot faster than going through every directory one after another.

Appreciate it - thanks, and definitely a good workaround. I don’t actually have a use-case for this just yet, but will keep in mind :slight_smile: Just figured I’d mention in case there was any demand for this in the broader sense :slight_smile: